This congregation was organized back in 1855, The group began outgrowing homes of members and started meeting in the Masonic Hall on the southwest corner of the square on Jefferson St.
Women of the church met together for tea, and the beginning of mission work was born. The first church was an oblong frame building. built at the corner of Third and Green at a cost of $6,000. The second and Jefferson St.Church was an imposing structure dedicated on Sept. 13, 1914 at a cost of $31,000. In 1953, a new wing was added for the purpose of providing additional classrooms. The wing was built joining the church at the southwest corner; it was completed in 1953 at a cost of $10,000.
Many factors entered into making the decision for still another move. The need for more parking space, stairs which caused restrictions for the handicapped, a need for expanded classrooms and general improvements to the building were among the main ones. Congregational action was taken on June 13, 1962, with the decision to relocate.
In December of that year, the land which the church currently resides on East Ohio St. was approved for purchase and in November of 1962 a building campaign was held with the goal of $75,000. The building was completed at a cost of $280,000 not including furnishings. The building was completed in 1966. Many additions have been made to the grounds and inside since 1966. The present building will, no doubt, be renewed and repaired many times in the years to come with the same love and dedication by its members.
MINISTERS WHO HAVE SERVED THIS CHURCH
Prior to 1905 (Dates and tenure unknown)
Rev. G.W. Longan
Elder Henry J. Speed
Elder James Phenix
Rev. William Birge
Rev. J.A. Mink
Rev. N.M. Ragland
Rev. G.W. Terrill
Rev. A.N. Lindsey 1905-1938
Rev. Paul Stauffer 1938-1941
Rev. Allen Estill 1941-1945
Rev. Albert B. Hensley 1945-1946
Rev. George S. Caroland 1946-1952
Rev. W.O. Harmon 1952-1953
Rev. William Bradley 1954-1957
Rev. N. Vernon Blankenship 1957-1966
Rev. Don Slaughter 1966-1969
Rev. Harold Ball 1969-November 30, 1979
Intentional Interim of Service Clark L. Hargus January 1, 1980 – September 1981
Rev. Jim Beaumont July, 1980-September 1981
Intentional Interim of Service Debra Purviance October 15, 1981-April 11, 1982
Rev. Mark L. Prevo April 1982-1988
Interim Rev. Richard J. Eichenlaub 1988-1989
Rev. Howard L. Cupp Jr. 1989-2007
Interim Pastor John Wrench April, 2007 – November, 2007
Assistant Pastor Linda Bishop July, 2003 – December, 2005
Pastor David Dubovich 2007 - 2015
Pastor Tim Wessley Feb 1, 2016 to present
Disciples of Christ congregations celebrate the Lord's Supper every Sunday; the table is open. That means that all Christians are invited to respond to Christ's invitation to draw closer to Him around the communion table. For Disciples, the open table is a powerful symbol of our deep commitment to the Christian unity. The open table honors diversity even as it celebrates unity in Christ.
Like most Christians, Disciples Affirm:
Jesus Christ is the son of the Living God
All persons are God's children.
Beliefs and practices usually associated with Disciples include:
Open Communion. The Lord’s Supper, or Communion is celebrated in weekly worship. It is open to all who believe in Jesus Christ.
Freedom of belief. Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to followtheir consciences guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit study and prayer, and are expected to extend that freedom to others.
Baptism by immersion. In baptism the old self-centered life is set aside, and a new life of trust in God begins. Although Disciples practice baptism by immersion, other baptism traditions are honored.
Belief in the oneness of the church. All Christians are called to be one in Christ and to seek opportunities for common witness and service.
The ministry of believers. Both ministers and lay persons lead in worship, service and spiritual growth.
Who is a Christian?
I answer, everyone that believes in one’s heart that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah, the Son of God; repents of one’s sins, and obeys him in all things according to none’s measure of knowledge of his will.
---Alexander Campbell, 19th Century Disciples forebear
Our Vision – Disciples of Christ
To be a faithful, growing church that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality and a passion for justice. (Micah 6:8)
Our Mission – Disciples of Christ
To be and to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, witnessing, loving and serving from our doorsteps “to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)
Clinton School District: www.clintoncardinals.org
Clinton Chamber of Commerce, Tourism, Main Street & City: www.ClintonMO.com
Clinton Christian Academy: http://www.clintonacademy.org/
Henry County Library:
Henry County Sheriff's Office: